Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Productivity-to-Busy Ratio




I know, from various conversations with colleagues as well as various articles on academic websites such as the chronicle, that many academics find that the busier they are, the more productive they are as well. I am not immune from this conundrum. If I have very little to do, I tend to stagnate. Instead of working on that article that needs to be revised for the 100th time, I'd rather sit on the couch and stare at the TV. BUT... if I also have to teach tomorrow and have a couple of knitting deadlines, somehow I'll be more motivated to do it all.

Hence the above... I'll be participating in NaKniSweMo (ravelry group link) as well as the NaSchoWriMo (also on ravelry as a group). For the Sweater Side, I'll be re-tackling my elfe sweater which has been frogged and major changes have been brewing in my head in order to make it work just so for me. I'm pretty sure I'll hit 50,000 stitches, especially if there is enough yarn left at the end to lengthen the sleeves beyond what is required of the original.

On the Scholarly Side, I'm going to tackle a brand-spankin' new article idea that's been brewing since a recent conference presentation brought up some new questions. I don't know if I'll write 50,000 words, but I'm going to count the fact that I'm going to have to read a whole bunch of new scholarship before I can get down to any actual writing of my own.

And then, of course, I'll be reading/prepping for the class I'm teaching, applying for jobs for next semester/year, and, of course, freaking out about Christmas-gift-knitting. November's going to be awesome, right?!

No comments: