Wednesday, September 26, 2012

long time coming

Morko, finally by gradschoolknitter
Morko, finally, a photo by gradschoolknitter on Flickr.

Poor DH. He's waited for these mitts a loooooong time. I started the first last December, just before Christmas, and realized when it was [mostly] complete that I was going to run out of yarn. I bought more, and then promptly forgot about these. Or rather, tried to... I got a few "so, how are my mittens coming along?" prompts, but they remained on the backburner for far too long. Good thing last winter wasn't that cold...

I finally ran out of other projects that I felt like doing... er... I mean, that needed doing first... and sat down with the second mitten last Saturday. They're surprisingly quick, but take a fair amount of concentration (*shakes fist at colourwork*) but I got the second mitt, plus the thumb of the first, all finished up this morning. Well, between last Saturday and this morning, anyway.

Pattern is Mörkö (now available in English so you don't have to try and wing it, like I did!)
Yarn is: 1.25 skeins of black lett lopi and slightly less than 1 skein (seriously, like 2 yards left) of grey. The original skeins were bought in Iceland on our honeymoon!
Needles: US3/3.25mm dpns
Mods: thicker yarn = extra warmth! plus I had to cut off the last repeat of snowflacks on the backs and thumbs or they would have been ridiculously long. Corrugated ribbing with the colours reversed on the 2nd mitt.

These may eventually get a lining... personally I find this yarn to be super scratchy. DH says he doesn't mind it, but we'll see how he feels in the dead of winter.

1 comment:

Mairead said...

They look lovely! But that yarn does look like it would be scratchy.