Monday, June 8, 2009

baby blanket


closeup garter stitch, originally uploaded by gradschoolknitter.

I made this baby blanket for a very special friend, one that, despite not knowing me in "real life" has been there for me on many difficult occasions. She just had a baby, but it is also a very difficult time of year for her, so I'm glad she got this in time to bring a smile to her face on a difficult day! It makes up for a small fraction of the advice and support she has given me over the past few years.

And the full shot:

garter stitch baby blanket

It's a basic diagonal garter stitch blanket with 3 yarns (sock weight and therefore washable!!) held together on a 7.5mm needle (no US equivalent). I used mostly the leftovers of sock yarns past, and when one ran out I'd add another.

I had an email on ravelry asking me how it was done, so the basic gist is this: cast on 3. Increase into the first stitch (kf&b) of each row until it's big enough for about 1/2 a baby blanket. Then decrease (k2tog) at the beginning of every row until there are 3 left. Bind-off!

Et voila. A simple but beautiful baby blanket.

No comments: