Tuesday, February 20, 2007

WIPs update

It's been a few days and no new completed projects, so I thought I'd do a works in progress update. Apologies ahead of time for the bad lighting/flashes... it's dark out now so there's little natural light and our floor is extremely shiny! (Note: if you click to make the pictures bigger the colour and stitch definition is much more visible.)

First off we have the Red Cross Army Vest for the OSCBF:


Specs:
Pattern: WWI Red Cross Army Vest, available online
Yarn: Lett Lopi Mid Grey (0057)
Needles: US 6 / 4mm (straights for body, dpns for hood)
Modifications: Shortened the body, adding hood

Next up, leg warmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts:


Specs:
Pattern: Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca 6289 Charcoal Mix + Crystal Palace Kid Merino 9801 Code Pink
Needles: US 9 / 5.5mm dpns
Modifications: none except for yarn substitutions

Next up, some socks:


Specs:
Pattern: none (toe-up, short row heel)
Yarn: Cascade Pima Silk 5134, 5136, 5139
Needles: US 3 / 3.25mm (2 circs)
Modifications: making the pattern up as I go

And finally, the Hourglass Sweater, also from Last Minute Knitted Gifts:



Specs:
Pattern: Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Aran DK with flecks brought back from Ireland by a relative, given to my mom (10 years ago approx.) then given by mom to me this past January
Needles: US 9 / 5.5mm circ (I think)
Modifications: Needle size to obtain gauge, otherwise nothing so far...

The Vest for the OSCBF will have to be put aside for a bit... the squiggly grey line at the top of the picture is the last bit of yarn I have left as of right now. I ordered a new skein earlier this evening but sadly it could take 7-21 days to get here. Which is really unfortunate since it is his birthday this weekend and I was hoping to have it delivered to him for then, but that clearly isn't happening. With any luck the yarn will be here sometime next week and I should be able to finish it up before I go home for Spring Break mid-March.

The leg warmers I am loving, the colour, the yarn (sooooooo soft), and even though I never thought I'd be much of a leg warmer kind of gal, I think they're going to be a lot of fun.

The socks I'm not such a huge fan of, but perhaps I'll keep them aside for a gift. It's mostly the colours I'm not huge on... but they were started as a small, easily portable project until I found something more intriguing (i.e. the leg warmers)!

And finally, the hourglass sweater. I think it's cute (at least the pattern picture is...) and it's very cool to be knitting with wool from Ireland. :D I picked a size without really measuring (and why don't knitting books tell you where to measure?! I mean, is a 37" bust measured below, above or somewhere in between?!) so if it's too big I might give it to my mom. It was technically supposed to be wool for her own sweater.

1 comment:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Go Hourglass!! I say put all your energy towards this as it'll be the most gratifying to finish...