Friday, February 9, 2007

Secret Pal 10 questionaire

I've never done one of these Secret Pal swaps before, but I keep reading about them on other knitter's blogs and it sounds like a lot of fun, so I've signed up for the latest, aka Secret Pal 10. You can click here to sign up before Feb. 28, 2007.

I also said that I would take a Spanish speaking pal (we'll see how good my Spanish vocabulary in fibers actually is...) and if this is the case I can re-write my answer en español.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I like Merino and Alpaca wools (or even these blended with other wools), silks, cottons... pretty much anything natural, even if it's blended with acrylic or other man-made materials. Not a huge fan of fun-furs or novelty yarns, although occasionally if mixed with something else they can give a project some extra fun!

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Right now I have a small bamboo basket beside my stash basket that holds all my needles.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I learned to knit as a child. I was taught by my paternal grandmother who was born in Ireland. My mom also helped me a lot in the early years! I've been taking knitting up and putting it down again off and on for well over 10 years now (maybe even closer to 15!). I'd say I'm probably intermediate, leaning towards advanced.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes. You can find it under the email (removed)

5. What's your favorite scent?

Tough one. I like Green Tea scented things, as well as orange, lemon, lavender and vanilla, as long as it's not overpowering.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Yes... chocolate, of course, but I do like other candies too. As long as it's not fake cherry or banana flavored.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I have crocheted once or twice, but much prefer knitting. I do not spin.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like all kinds of music, from things like Frank Sinatra and the rat pack to modern rock and dance music, latin/salsa music, etc. And Yes, I could play MP3s on my computer.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I like pink, and green, although not necessarily always together... I also like red, blue, purple... pretty much any colour. I'm not big on yellow or orange and I'm not huge on drab colours, like grey or tan, although sometimes earth-tones make for a very pretty knitted item.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

My family has a dog, but she is at home in Canada with my parents. I live with a roommate (male).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I definitely wear scarves, hats and mittens, but not very many ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Hmmm... I like knitting scarves as gifts since they are usually quick and easy. I also enjoy knitting mittens and the occasional sock. I've recently started on sweaters, but I tend to enjoy projects that allow for some quicker FO satisfaction!

13. What are you knitting right now?

Well, I keep a running list in the sidebar as to what projects are being worked on, but currently the list is:

Hourglass Sweater in Aran DK from Last Minute Knitted Gifts (for myself)

Modular Scarf in Blue Heron's Blueberry (my pattern, finished except for blocking) (for myself)

Modular Scarf in Crystal Palace Yarns Waikiki (my pattern) (Sample for LYS)

Red Cross Army Vest in Létt-Lopi (pattern available online) (for boyfriend)

Rib-brimmed hat from Last Minute Knitted Gifts (for a surprise)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I prefer Bamboo, I have a full set of straight bamboo needles up to size 17. I like using 2 circs for socks and mittens... anything that calls for DPNs really, but my collection of circs is greatly lacking...

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Sadly, no.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

I started the Red Cross Army vest for my boyfriend about a month ago... I'm pretty sure that's the oldest UFO I have that I haven't either finished up recently or decided to frog.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Probably Christmas, because that's when I usually get to go home and see my family, boyfriend and friends.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Other than yarn?! Not really...

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Hmmmmm... Books: the art of knitting, The knitters book of finishing techniques...
I have a lot of knitting books with patterns though, so I don't really need any more of those.

I don't have any subscriptions to knitting magazines right now. But I would like to try out Interweave.

As for yarn: anything natural fibers in pretty colours, including self-striping, especially if handpainted...

Needles: almost any size circular

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

hmmm... fair isle eventually, although I'm pretty good at teaching myself new techniques... it's just a matter of finding enough time!

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I have knit socks before, but I don't do them on a regular basis. I wear a size 6.5 or 7 shoe, depending on the maker.

23. When is your birthday?

April 23


*To my secret pal: if you want to know anything else about me, please check out the rest of the blog, or my photos on flickr to see what kinds of things I have been knitting recently. Or, feel free to email me!

No comments: